Spaghetti with meatballs is one of those meals that tastes just as good to a child as it does to an adult, so serve up this elegant, gourmet version of the classic dish to please every palate!
SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS RECIPE
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 can (35 oz) Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juice reserved
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/4 pound lean ground veal
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons plain dried bread crumbs
3 egg whites
3/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
12 oz. spaghetti
Additional grated Parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
1. Use a large saucepan to heat the olive oil, then saute the onion until softened. Add the tomatoes and garlic, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally.
2. While the mixture simmers, combine the beef, veal, cheese, bread crumbs, egg whites, 1/4 cup of parsley, the basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Moisten your hands and shape into 24 balls about the size of walnuts.
3. Gently add the meatballs to the saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer – do not stir – for about 25 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
4. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of parsley, then continue to cook. Add the tomato juice 1/4 cup at a time if the sauce gets too thick too quickly. Cook about 30-45 minutes longer, until the meatballs are tender and the sauce is thickened to the right consistency.
5. Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package, then drain and place in a serving bowl. Top the pasta with the sauce and meatballs, then top with additional Parmesan cheese (if desired).
1. Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network
2. Identifying Allergens Lurking in Food is About to Get Easier
3. Italian Spaghetti Sauce with Meatballs Recipe – Allrecipes.com